Monday, October 6, 2014

Back to School...Back to Reality

Ahhhh, September and October. I love teaching and getting back into a daily routine. Don't get me wrong, my routine over summer (having no plans) was amazing too but I'm not meant to sit around for that long. Two months is too long in my opinion. I wish we could have week long breaks during the year like they do in France. By the way, parents have them too...not just teachers and students. Just saying! Vacation Time=Quality of Life.

My new batch of Grade 2 students are simply adorable. I have taught a lot of their older siblings and love their parents. I know it's going to be an amazing year! That said, they have forgotten a lot over the summer so I've been really going back to the basics with Number Sense.

I found this great idea from Mrs. T's First Grade Class on Pinterest.

I changed it ever so slightly and my students loved making the strips with the poem prompts on the other side.



On my commute home the other day, I was trying to come up with a game to use the strips again. It didn't take me too long to come up with something that uses dice and


...unifix cubes


Basically my students had to roll each double's answer within 4 rolls. If they rolled a 2 on their first try then they covered the "2" answer with a unifix cube. Then their partner went. If they rolled a 3 on the first roll they wrote it down and then rolled again to try and get an answer from the doubles row. Does that make sense? Probably not but trust me, it was fantastic!

All the best,
Bryn

No comments:

Post a Comment